November 14, 2013

Travel Series: What's In My Carry On Bag



When I talk about 'carry on bag' I am specifically talking about the 1 piece of 'personal' carry on luggage airlines allow you to have. For woman this is a handbag and for men this could be a small backpack.

In my carry on bag I like to have the following items. These items allow me travel on an air plane in comfort while also keeping myself entertained and allow me to have my valuable items with me incase my checked luggage was to go missing.

  1. Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer - Airports and planes in general are full of bacteria with travellers going about their business. It's always great to have some anti-bac hand santizer in my handbag for those moments when you're needing a quick snack and the public restrooms are at the other end of the gate but you need to wash your hands before eating. My preferred brand is Purell, I just find it has a nicer smell and doesn't leave your hands as sticky as other brands do. 
  2. Glasses - I am blind as a bat, I won't be going anywhere without them. The style I have is called 'Dorita' from Specsavers.
  3. Contacts & Solution - Sometimes a girl likes to look pretty without glasses. Plus wearing contacts can sometimes be more convenient than wearing glasses. 
  4. Wallet - When travelling I like to take a small wallet that only holds the neccissities - ID, Eftpos Card, Credit Card and Cash. 
  5. Hair Tie - I always like to travel with my hair up and out of my face. This makes it easier to see where I'm going and what I'm doing. 
  6. Jewellery - I keep any jewellery I am taking with me in a travel makeup roll I received with my jewellery box. 
  7. Lip Balm Lucas Paw Paw - miracle worker. Not only is it great for dry or cracked lips (which I am prone to) but it's also great for pimples, itchy bites or rashes.
  8. Hand Cream - Travelling, public toilet hand soap and air conditioning all lead to dry hands therefore having hand cream on hand is a must. I prefer to use hand cream by L'Occitane.
  9. Phone - I take my phone from home and purchase a sim in Australia when I arrive. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S4. 
  10. iPod - Everyone needs something to drown their annoying seat neighbour out with. I have own an iPod touch. 
  11. Headphones - To go with the iPod and also so I have the luxury of having my own personal headphones to use with any in-seat entertainment I may have (screen on seat in front). I use Sony branded ear buds. 
  12. Reusable Shopping Bag - You never when you will need another small bag to carry something. 
  13. Camera - I always carry a camera on me at all times, even more so now that I am really getting into this whole blogging thing. I love being able to capture everything so that memories of our trips can last forever. The camera model I prefer to carry with me is the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-HX30V.
  14. Tablet - Taking a tablet with me enables me to watch movies, read books, play games on the airplane, while waiting at the airport, or just when having some quiet time in my hotel room. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8".
{all liquids will be in a quart [sandwich sized] sized baggy}


Book - I usually take either my kindle or a hard copy book with me. For this particular trip I am only taking my phone and tablet with the Kindle App installed on both which enables me to read books while travelling.
Notebook & Pen - You always need a pen to fill in luggage tags or customs declarations. I also like to have a notebook of some kind on me in case I need to jot down any notes or things to remember. I am very much a pen and paper and list type of person.
Jumper or Jacket - This will be on my person, not necessarily in my carry on bag itself.
Passport - only applies if this is an international trip.
Travel Itinerary - Copies of tickets, travel insurance, hotel bookings, any tickets we have pre-purchased. [I also give a copy of these items along with a copy our passports to my mother in case something happens].

The following items I like to have with me as well. I purchase these once I have gone through Customs.
  • Water 
  • Snacks (pre-packaged snack foods), I may take some fresh foods with me if I wish on the day (brought within the airport) but I usually try to eat before getting onto the airplane. Not buying meals on board or tickets that include meals helps to save money which can then be used elsewhere on the trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...