April 22, 2014

Roasting Dish Chocolate Cake

This weekend just been we were invited to a close friend's 30th Birthday party. It was a 'bring a plate' occasion.

For those of you who are not from New Zealand or don't know kiwi slang, 'bring a plate' means to bring a dish to be shared with everyone for a meal.

I decided to make a giant chocolate cake cooked in a roasting dish as it needed to feed large numbers.

I wanted to use a recipe that was quick, basic, easy and wouldn't take long to make from start to finish.

After a quick google, I came across this great recipe from the blog Bridget's Readings, Ramblings, Recipes and Randoms

Here is the recipe I used for those that are interested. The original can be found here.
I did change up the original recipe mainly to fit what was in my cupboard but also cause I felt like it.

Mix together in a big bowl:


3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
Mix together in a little bowl:
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix, then add 1 cup boiling water and mix again. Don’t be freaked out when it looks like a sloppy mess, it’ll come right.
Bake at about 160c until it’s done. 
To check if it was done I used a wooden skewer to poke the cake until the skewer came out dry (no uncooked batter on it). 
I cooled the cake directly in the roasting dish (this took about an hour or so) so that I could then transport the cake to the party easily.  
To finish it off, I iced it with a quick chocolate icing recipe of cocoa powder, icing sugar and hot water. I didn't use any specific measurements for this, just eyeballed it until I had the consistency I wanted. 
I forgot to take a picture of the cake all iced, but here is one after it came out out of oven. 

Note: I doubled the above recipe to make the cake in the picture above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...