June 10, 2014

Life Update: Missing In Action

I know I have been missing in action for a few months with only one brief recipe post since February this year (slack I know!), but there is a reason.

In January we found out that we are expecting our first child! This was great news, a little unexpected but still great news. I had a pretty easy pregnancy up until about the end of April. Up until this point I had had zero morning sickness and very little nausea. However at the end of April I started suffering from chronic headaches that would increase in intensity as they went on and would not go away. I was diagnosed with Inter-cranial Hypertension, which in basic terms is an increased fluid buildup and pressure within the brain and spine. To treat this I have had to undergo a Lumbar Puncture to reduce the fluid build up and also to measure the pressure itself. This was not as straight forward as it sounds, the whole procedure which is meant to take 30mins instead took 2 hours and instead of 1 needle they used 4 needles (they kept hitting vertebrae which in turn would bend their needles). Following the lumbar puncture I then suffered from a low pressure headache (previously I was suffering from a high pressure headache) which resulted in my being on strict flat bed rest in hospital for 5 days.

Combine all of this with the fact that at the beginning of April one of our administrators took extended leave due to having to undergo a back operation which meant that my hours increased from 30 to 40+ hours a week I was very very busy with just work and trying to manage my headaches.

Then during an obstetrician appointment (my midwife referred me due to the inter-cranial hypertension) they discovered that I am also suffering from Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) just to add to the misery complications.

To top it all off our landlord then told us that she would not be renewing our fixed term and we would need to find somewhere new to live, which is proving particularly hard in the current Auckland rental market.

So all of these things piled on top of each other, means I have had almost zero energy to focus on anything else except making it through my working week and growing a healthy baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...